Friday, March 11, 2011

Pottery - Learning how to burnish clay

This is a great blog and is extremely comprehensive. Great techniques are posted. My student teacher is currently teaching a project where my students will burnish their pot and then he will take the pots home to "pit fire". The end result will be a black pot which has a slick shiny surface in some areas and is just beautiful. This type of firing cannot be done in a kiln which is in my classroom. We even checked and it cannot be done on school property. So, I am learning all about this process. I'll keep you posted on the results.
http://ceramicartsdaily.org/

2 comments:

  1. I learned so much about Georgia potters in our last class and am looking forward to learning pottery techniques from your blog. Jenneigh was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the picture of someone's hands shaping the clay and she asked why they were playing with mud . . . the perfect teaching moment, as I explained to her how pottery is made. I am interested in your student teacher's firing method. Since it does not attain the temperature of a kiln, how does this affect the pottery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you for having a student teacher that can share his talents. I have only tried Raku firing a few times at the Sprull Center. It seems so dangerous working with this method. I've had a few teachers that weren't very organized and I feared getting badly burned. I will stick with my safe little kiln while working with my young students. I would love to see your results!

    ReplyDelete